January 27, 2010
2009 Pharmaceutical M&A Overview report ( http://www.bharatbook.com/detail.asp?id=130023&rt=2009-Pharmaceutical-M-A-Overview.html ) assesses that After a slump in M&A activity following the global economic downturn and with the looming threat of the 2011 “”patent cliff””, Pharma companies are looking to expand geographically and enhance their pipelines in order to offset future losses. Two high growth areas which have been an intrinsic focus of recent M&A activity are biologic therapies and the rapidly-growing emerging markets.
* Provides an overview of recent trends within the M&A landscape in terms of type of acquisition and targeted healthcare sectors
* Evaluate recent mega mergers: Pfizer-Wyeth, Roche-Genentech, Merck-Schering, and Abbott-Solvay
* Analysis of Pharma”s M&A targets based on therapeutic areas
* Analysis of Pharma”s geographic expansion and interest in the emerging markets
Overall there was a rise in deal activity throughout 2008 up until the end of Q3. However, Pharma’s M&A activity was subsequently impacted by the global economic downturn, with the number of deals having declined between Q3 2008 and Q2 2009 for the top 150 pharmaceutical companies. However, now deal making activity is on the rise once again.
Sectors offering high growth and high returns are the preferred targets for pharma. The high value commanded by biologic drugs targeting areas of high unmet need can offer significant benefit for pharma players, as these products are currently largely insulated against brand erosion post patent expiry, thereby ensuring long term growth.
In the past, deals targeting the emerging markets have usually been the least popular due to a risky operating environment, but the opportunities for growth coupled with improving healthcare systems, has resulted in more companies targeting the emerging markets, and these deals now form a significant proportion of Big Pharma”s M&A activity.
Reasons to Purchase
* Identify which are the most perused therapeutic areas in terms of M&A deals, and which companies have been the most acquisitive during 200809.
* Gain insight into which geographic markets have been most frequently targeted through M&As, and the different M&A strategies companies have used.
* Overview of Big Pharma”s mega-mergers and how these will impact a company’s financials, growth prospects and pharmaceutical focus going forward.
To know more and to buy a copy of your report feel free to visit : http://www.bharatbook.com/detail.asp?id=130023&rt=2009-Pharmaceutical-M-A-Overview.html
Contact us at :
Bharat Book Bureau
Tel: +91 22 27578668
Fax: +91 22 27579131
Follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/3bbharatbook